What happens if I have an accident and it’s not my fault?

In the event that something happens to the campervan and you are not at fault, (either a vehicle accident where someone strikes the vehicle or damage occurs while the vehicle is parked) you are liable for the damage caused to the vehicle until we are able to receive payment for those damages from the third party

I have Travel Insurance, which covers damage to the vehicle. Do I need to pay the vehicle insurance as well?

The bronze insurance is included in our rates and this is compulsory. If you are covered by travel insurance you will not need to pay for any additional insurance excess reduction.

Do I have to pay the bond?

Unlike other companies, Kiwi Campers does not deduct this before your motorhome hire starts. We simply require a credit card imprint with the Rental Agreement. If you don’t have a credit card, we require either Cash or signed Traveller’s Cheques in NZD (New Zealand Dollars). If there is no loss/damage or any reported incidents, speeding fines or parking tickets, we will send the Cash or Traveller’s Cheques back to you in the form of a company cheque, 3 weeks after your hire ends

If I have an accident and I am at fault, will I lose my entire excess?

You will be liable for up to the amount of your excess towards the repair cost. If the damage is minor, you will only be charged the repair costs and not the entire excess.

What does the rental insurance cover?

The rental insurance cover restricts the maximum you are liable for in the event of an accident as long as you do not break the rental agreement terms and conditions. It does not cover you for any personal loss or injury. We suggest taking your own personal travel insurance.

Does the insurance cover windscreen and tyres?

Only if you opt for the Gold or Platinum insurance cover will your windscreen and tyres be covered.

What happens if my campervan breaks down or I need assistance during my holiday?

Kiwi Campers is supported by Automobile Association (AA) 24-hour emergency breakdown service and a nationwide network of reputable service agents to deal with any problems that may arise. We can also authorize you to spend up to $100.00 in emergency repairs so that you can deal with minor matters speedily or when convenient to you, but please produce the receipt when you return from your hire for a refund.

Do you charge fees for one-way hires?

No, we do not charge for this.

Do I have to pre-book the ferry service across Cook Strait?

During the peak summer season, from December to March, it is advisable to pre-book ferry services in advance. We would be happy to arrange this for you before you arrive. Please let us know your preferred crossing date(s) and time(s) and the name and ages of those crossing on the ferry. For a sailing itinerary please look on our website or visit www.bluebridge.co.nz. Kiwi Campers books ferry crossing for its customers on BlueBridge, as it is a New Zealand based company and has fantastic rates..

How do I collect my vehicle?

Kiwi Campers offers a free courtesy pick up/drop off service from your hotel, motel, airport to our depot between the hours of 10am to 3pm within the airport region. When you are ready, please call us on our toll free number and we will arrange to collect you. Please note that you should advise us in advance of your expected time of pick up from your hotel / motel or your flight details. Alternatively you are welcome to make your own way here.

Can Kiwi Campers deliver a vehicle to our hotel/motel?

You need to come to our office to collect your vehicle so we can complete the necessary documentation and show you how to use your campervan. The whole process takes about 45 minutes. We offer complementary transfers to collect you from your hotel/motel from within the airport region.

Where are your offices located?

Kiwi Campers has 2 offices in New Zealand located in Auckland and Christchurch.

Do I have to pre-book camping parks?

It is rare for powered sites to be full at camping parks. The only time it may be a problem is over the Christmas/New Year period continuing to the end of the second week of January and also the first two weeks of February. Bookings may be wise in some of the key tourist centres also.

Does Kiwi Campers supply a list of campgrounds around New Zealand?

Yes, we supply camp ground & regional guides as well as comprehensive New Zealand road maps.

Can I park and sleep in the campervan wherever I want, or do I have to stay in a campground?

It is not always necessary to go to a camp ground. It is acceptable to stop on the side of the road or in a bush reserve as long as there are no signs saying “No Parking/Overnight Camping”. Use common sense and courtesy. Please remember to take any rubbish for proper disposal later Camp grounds usually charge around NZ$15 – $20 per night per person. For more information on where you can camp click here.

Do I have to pay for road tax?

You are liable for road tax on diesel vehicles. The exact amounts are available in our terms and conditions. The Kiwi 2 Berth Toyota Hiace is petrol so does not incur road user charges.

How much fuel am I likely to use on my holiday?

This all depends on how far you travel! The 2 berth campervans use 12 litres per 100kms and the 4 and 6 berth motorhomes use 14 liters per 100kms.

What is the safe travel speed for driving the campervans?

The open road speed limit is 100km/hour for the 2 berth campervans and 90km/hour for the 4 and 6 berth motorhomes. Kiwi Camper’s suggests a more comfortable speed for driving your campervan is below the maximum allowed speed, especially if you have never driven one before. Should you choose to travel below the speed limit, please show courtesy to other road users by allowing them to pass.

Are there any roads I can’t drive on?

You can not drive on the following roads: Ninety Mile Beach Northland; North of Colville Township Coromandel Peninsula; Tapu-Coroglen Road Coromandel Peninsula; Skippers Canyon Road Queenstown and Ball Hutt Road – Mt. Cook

Is there a minimum hire period?

We have a minimum period of five (5) days. However, please note that this minimum hire period increases to ten (10) days between 1 May and 31 September, and increases to fourteen (14) days for all motorhome bookings between 15 December and 10 January

Do I need snow chains in New Zealand?

This is dependent on where in the country you intend to travel and over which season. Kiwi Campers does not recommend you drive anywhere that requires snow chains, but does rent them for a small fee for your peace of mind.

How old do I need to be to drive a Kiwi Campers Motorhome?

All drivers must be 18 years of age or older and hold a current valid driver’s licence.

Do I need a special drivers licence to drive a campervan in New Zealand?

No, our campervans can be driven with a standard full car licence. License must be in English or an international drivers licence is required.

Is there a refund if I shorten my hire while on holiday?

No, there is no refund if you return your campervan earlier than the reserved period. However your travel insurance may in some circumstances cover the unused portion.

How can I amend or cancel my booking?

If you wish to amend or cancel your existing booking, please contact us as soon as possible. This is so we can make sure any extensions are available for you and to reduce the cost to you for cancellations. Simply go to our website and make an enquiry, or email info@kiwicampers.co.nz. Please ensure you quote your booking confirmation number.

What is your Reservation Policy?

To secure a booking we do require a $400 NZD deposit. No reservation will be accepted or guaranteed without a deposit. The deposit can be made in Cash, Cheque or Credit Card.

What currency will my Credit Card be charged?

Where possible all credit card transactions will be charged in your credit card’s country of origin currency. If this is not possible you will be charged in New Zealand Dollars. This applies to all bookings.

Which credit card types do you accept?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express (Amex). Please note that Amex cards have an additional fee of 3.5% when used.

Is it safe to use my credit card?

Yes. Security of our customer’s credit card is taken very seriously.To ensure your security, all credit card transactions are secured by SSL, which encrypts the credit card number so as to make it unavailable to any other party.

Why do I have to include my credit card number?

We require a credit card for the $400 NZD deposit to secure you booking. Your credit card information is strictly confidential and this is a faster method for securing your booking compared with Cash or Cheque.

I have submitted my booking form and credit card details—what happens now?

Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receiving your booking or we will get in contact with you. If a vehicle is available for the dates you specified, your booking will be finalised and your credit card will be charged a $400 NZD deposit. If a vehicle is not available, we will contact you with a suitable alternative and no payment will be incurred.

What do you mean by calendar days when we book?

All campervan operators in New Zealand charge by the day, not per 24 hour period. So regardless of the time of collection and return, you will be charged for the day you collect and the day you drop your vehicle off. This is somewhat like a hotel and a rental car company all in one as you can drive and sleep in your vehicle.

How and when should I make my bookings?

We always suggest as soon as you know the dates you wish to have your holiday – go online and book. To confirm we need a $400 NZD deposit and then the balance is due 28 days prior to your hire. The best way to submit your credit card details are though the secure server bookings page on our website.

How long does the LPG last?

If you are free camping you may use a 9kg gas bottle every 10 days with average use.

Is there heating in the vehicle?

Yes, all vehicles have electric heaters that will only work when plugged into camp site power. The Kiwi 2 + ST, Kiwi 2 Euro + ST, Kiwi 4, Kiwi 6 Deluxe and Kiwi 7 Deluxe also have gas/diesel heaters which can be used when freedom camping.

How much water do I have on board?

The Kiwi 2 Berth has a 45 litre fresh water tank. The Kiwi 2 Berth + ST has a 100 litre fresh water tank. The Kiwi 2 Berth Euro + ST has a 100 litre fresh water tank The Kiwi 4 Berth + ST has a 150 litre fresh water tank. The Kiwi 6 Berth Deluxe has a 150 litre fresh water tank. The Kiwi 7 Berth Deluxe has a 150 litre fresh water tank. The fresh water tank can be refilled at holiday parks and often a service station when you refuel the vehicle.

How long will my batteries last?

All our campervans and motorhomes have a separate house batteries, which is independent of the engine battery and this battery charges whilst driving or if plugged into mains power. Using the house battery will not run the engine battery flat. This house battery, depending on usage, can last up to 48 hours without driving or being plugged into mains power. It is recommended that you drive or plug the vehicle in for a charge once a day. Since the engine battery is separate, if you flatten the house batteries, you will still be able to start the engine and drive.

Are the campervans automatic or manual?

In our fleet we have campervans and motorhomes that are manuals and automatics. The Kiwi 2, Kiwi 2+ ST, and Kiwi 4 are all manuals transmission.  The Kiwi Euro 2 ST is both Manual or Automatic. The Kiwi 6 Deluxe and Kiwi 7 Deluxe are both automatic transmission.

Can a child seat be fitted to the campervan?

All of our campervans and motorhomes can be fitted with child seats.The child seat will have to be fitted in the front passenger’s seat for the 2 berth campervans and for the 4 and 6 berth motorhomes the child seat can be fitted in the rear cabin or in the front passenger’s seat.

What living and cooking equipment is included with the vehicles?

All of out campervans and motorhomes are fully equipped with duvet, sheets, pillows/cases, towels, cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, toaster, kettle, coffee plunger, gas kettle and much more.