What living and cooking equipment is included with the vehicles?

All campervans/motorhome are fully equipped with duvet, sheets, pillows/cases, towels, cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, toaster, kettle, gas kettle and much more.

What do you mean by calendar days when we book?

All campervan/motorhome operators in New Zealand charge by the day, not per 24 hour period. So regardless of the time of collection and return, you will be charged for the day you collect and the day you drop your vehicle off. This is somewhat like a hotel and a rental car company all in one as you can drive and sleep in your vehicle.

Can a child seat be fitted to the campervan/motorhome?

All of our campervans/motorhomes can be fitted with child seats.

Are the campervans/motorhome automatic or manual?

All of our Kiwi Deluxe 2/3 ST, Kiwi Deluxe Euro 2 ST, Kiwi Ranger, Kiwi 6 and Kiwi 7 vehicles are automatic.

How long will my batteries last?

All of our vehicles have a separate house battery, which is independent of the engine battery and this battery charges whilst driving or if plugged into mains power. Using the house battery will not run the engine battery flat. This house battery, depending on usage, can last up to 48 hours without driving or being plugged into mains power. It is recommended that you drive or plug the vehicle in for a charge once a day. Since the engine battery is separate, if you flatten the house batteries, you will still be able to start the engine and drive.

How much water do I have on board?

It depends on the vehicle that you hire. Fresh water tanks vary in size from 65L to 122L. For more detailed information please see the vehicle page. The fresh water tank can be refilled at holiday parks and often a service station when you refuel the vehicle.

Is there heating in the vehicle?

All of our vehicles come with a 240 V fan heater which will you can use when plugged into camp site power. Some of our vehicles have additional heating in the rear. Please see vehicle pages for more information.

How long does the LPG last?

If you are free camping you may use a 9 kg gas bottle every 10 days with average use.

How and when should I make my bookings?

We always suggest as soon as you know the dates you wish to have your holiday – go online and book. To confirm we need a deposit of NZ$300 or 10% of the booking, whichever is higher, and then the balance is due 28 days prior to your hire. The best way to submit your credit card details are though the secure server bookings page on our website.

I have submitted my booking form and credit card – What happens now?

Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receiving your booking or we will get in contact with you. If a vehicle is available for the dates you specified, your booking will be finalised and your credit card will be charged a deposit of NZ$300 or 10% of the booking, whichever is higher. If a vehicle is not available, we will contact you with a suitable alternative and no payment will be incurred.

Why do I have to include my credit card number?

We require a credit card for the deposit of NZ$300 or 10% of the booking (whichever is higher) to secure you booking. Your credit card information is strictly confidential.

Is it safe to use my credit card?

Yes. Security of our customer’s credit card is taken very seriously. To ensure your security, all credit card transactions are secured by SSL, which encrypts the credit card number so as to make it unavailable to any other party.

Which credit card types do you accept?

We accept Visa and Master Card.

What currency will my Credit Card be charged?

All credit card transactions will be processed in the card’s Country of Origin currency when available, otherwise they will be charged in New Zealand dollars. This applies to all bookings made through our website.

What is your Reservation Policy?

To secure a booking we require a non-refundable deposit of either NZ$300 or 10% of the booking (whichever is more). No reservation will be accepted or guaranteed without a deposit. The deposit can be made by a Credit Card.

How can I amend or cancel my booking?

If you wish to amend or cancel your existing booking, please contact us as soon as possible. This is so we can make sure any extensions are available for you and to reduce the cost to you for cancellations. Please read the Cancellation clause in the Terms and Conditions. Simply go to our website and make an enquiry, or email . Please ensure you quote your confirmation number.

Is there a refund if I shorten my hire while on holiday?

No, there is no refund if you return your campervan/motorhome earlier than the reserved period. However your travel insurance may in some circumstances cover the unused portion.

Do I need a special drivers licence to drive a campervan/motorhome  in New Zealand?

No, our campervans can be driven with a standard full car licence. License must be in English or an international drivers license is required.

How old do I need to be to drive a Kiwi Campervan?

We hire to anyone over the age of 18 who holds a full drivers license. To hire a 4, 6, or 7 berth the driver must be 24 years or older who holds a full drivers license.

Is there a minimum hire period?

Summer Periods we have a minimum hire period of 10 days to 14 days  (October-April)
Winter Periods we have a minimum hire period of 5 days to 7 days (May-September)

Are there any roads I can’t drive on?

You can not drive on the following roads:

  • Ninety Mile Beach – Northland
  • North of Colville Township – Coromandel Peninsula
  • Tapu-Coroglen Road – Coromandel Peninsula
  • Skippers Canyon Road – Queenstown
  • Ball Hutt Road – Mt. Cook.

What is the safe travel speed for driving the campervans?

The open road speed limit is 90 / 100km/hour depending on the vehicle model, but we suggest a comfortable speed for driving your campervan/motorhome is 90km/hour, especially if you have never driven one before. Should you choose to travel below the speed limit, please show courtesy to other road users by allowing them to pass.

How much fuel am I likely to use on my holiday?

This all depends on how far you travel! Our smaller Dart vehicle tends to use around 10L per 100km while our larger vehicles can use 12-14L per 100km.

Do I have to pay for road tax?

All of our vehicles are diesel vehicles and incur road tax. You are charged per kilometre.

Can I park and sleep in the campervan/motorhome wherever I want, or do I have to stay in a campground?

It is not always necessary to go to a camp ground. It is acceptable to stop on the side of the road or in a bush reserve as long as there are no signs saying “No Parking/Overnight Camping”. Use commonsense and courtesy. Please remember to take any rubbish for proper disposal later. Camp grounds usually charge around NZ$35 – $55 per night per person.

Does Kiwi Campers supply a list of campgrounds around New Zealand?

Yes, we supply camp ground & regional guides as well as comprehensive New Zealand road maps. Or visit their website on www.camping.org.nz

Do I have to pre-book camping parks?

It is rare for powered sites to be full at camping parks. The only time it may be a problem is over the Christmas/New Year period continuing to the end of the second week of January and also the first two weeks of February. Bookings may be wise in some of the key tourist centres also.

Where are your offices located?

Kiwi Campers has 2 offices in New Zealand located in Auckland and Christchurch.

Can Kiwi Campers deliver a vehicle to our hotel/motel?

You need to come to our office to collect your vehicle so we can complete the necessary documentation and show you how to use your campervan / motorhome. The whole process takes about 45 minutes. We offer complementary transfers to collect you from the airport or accommodation surrounding the airport.

How do I collect my vehicle?

A free transfer is available to or from the airport on the day of pick up and drop off of the vehicle. 1 October – 30 April (Summer) The shuttle is a schedule service that arrives on the hour between 10am and 3pm, per below: 10.00am 11.00am 12.00pm 1.00pm 2.00pm 3.00pm You do not need call to us to advise that you require a collection. You will need to make your own arrangements for transfers outside of the above times. Christchurch Airport Kiwi Campers airport transfers are located outside Door 2.     Auckland Airport    PLEASE NOTE THE FREE AIRPORT SHUTTLE ONLY OPERATES FROM THE TRANSPORT PICK-UP ZONE LOCATED AT THE INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL. IF YOU ARE ARRIVING ON A DOMESTIC FLIGHT MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL. International Terminal: Kiwi Campers airport transfers are available from the Transport Pick-up Zone located at the international terminal. To find the Transport Pick-up Zone, exit the international terminal via Door 8 located in the arrivals area and follow the covered walkway. There is clear signage to guide you to the Transport Pick-up Zone. The walk is approximately 5 minutes. Domestic Terminal: We do not offer a transfer to or from the domestic terminal. You will need to use the free airport shuttle to transfer between terminals. .

Do I have to pre-book the ferry service across Cook Strait?

During the peak summer season, from December to March, it is advisable o pre-book ferry services in advance. We would be happy to arrange this for you before you arrive. Please let us know your preferred crossing date(s) and time(s) and the name and ages of those crossing on the ferry. For a sailing itinerary please visit www.bluebridge.co.nz

Do you charge fees for one-way hires?

Where pick-ups originate from Auckland and return in Christchurch and the pick-up is between:

  • 1 April and 30 September – a one way fee of NZ $100.00 applies.
  • 1 October and 31 March – a one way fee of NZ $250.00 applies.

Where pick-ups originate from Christchurch and return to Auckland and the pick-up is between:

  • 1 April and 30 September – no one way fee applies.
  • 1 October and 31 March – a one way fee of NZ $150.00 applies.

What happens if I break down or need assistance during my holiday?

Kiwi Campers is supported by New Zealand Roadside Assistance (NZRA) 24-hour emergency breakdown service and a nationwide network of reputable service agents to deal with any problems that may arise. We can also authorize you to spend up to $100.00 in emergency repairs so that you can deal with minor matters speedily or when convenient to you, but please produce the receipt when you return from your hire for a refund.

Am I insured for windscreens and tyres?

Only if you opt for the Gold or Platinum Insurance cover.

What does the rental insurance cover?

The rental insurance cover restricts the maximum you are liable for in the event of an accident as long as you do not break the rental agreement terms and conditions. It does not cover you for any personal loss or injury. We suggest taking your own personal travel insurance.

If I have an accident and I am at fault, will I lose my entire Excess?

You will be liable for up to the amount of your excess towards the repair cost. If the damage is minor, you will only be charged the repair costs and not the entire excess.

Do I have to pay the bond?

Unlike other companies, Kiwi Campers does not deduct this before your campervan/motorhome hire starts. We simply require a credit card imprint with the Rental Agreement. If you don’t have a credit card, we require a bond in NZ$. If there is no loss/damage or any reported incidents, speeding fines or parking tickets, we will refund the bond, 3 weeks after your hire ends.

I have Travel Insurance, which covers damage to the vehicle. Do I need to pay the vehicle insurance as well?

The bronze insurance is included in our rates and this is compulsory. If you are covered by travel insurance you will not need to pay for any additional insurance excess reduction. Please check out our Terms and Conditions regarding insurances .

What happens if I have an accident and it’s not my fault?

In the event that something happens to the campervan/motorhome and you are not at fault, (either a vehicle accident where someone strikes the vehicle or damage occurs while the vehicle is parked) you are liable for the damage caused to the vehicle until we are able to receive payment for those damages from the third party.